Thursday 30 June 2016

Journeys: Part II



It was 6:00 pm and I had just walked through the doors of my office. It was drizzling outside. The Mumbai monsoons had arrived. I saw the screen of my phone flashing. My father was calling. I picked up the phone and went numb after listening to what he had to say. 

“Mumma had a few tests and the results say that she has a tumor in her mouth. She’s got cancer.”

I called my father back a day later and told him that I was moving back to Dehradun. 

“Are you sure? he asked very concerned. You have always wanted to live in Mumbai.” I told him I was sure and that I wanted to be with Mumma. I packed up all my belongings, put them in cartons, booked them onto a train and left for Dehradun the next day. My mind was blank. ‘What is happening to my family?’ I kept thinking. 

The next few months included a surgery removing the left half of my mother’s tongue and a few lymph nodes, rigorous sessions of radiation for six weeks, a lot of pain for my mother and an incredible show of strength on her part. While in hospital, my mother would tell me stories about her college days and childhood while I would listen and wonder why she was being put through so much in life. On 26th January 2015 with Republic Day, my mother’s last session of radiation was conducted. She was tested again and proclaimed ‘free of cancer.’ She and my father asked me to go back to Mumbai. I went back and started working again. After a month, it was March again. Since the 13th of March was my grandfather’s death anniversary, my parents and grandmother asked me if I would come home. I was more than happy to oblige. I booked my tickets and travelled back. The journey was peaceful for most part. I wasn’t going crazy thinking about how my mother would cope with cancer or how the family was going to deal with the passing away of my grandfather. 

On the eve of March 13th, I saw my mother sitting on the deewan in the living room. She had her face in her hands and was sobbing. I hugged her with all my strength and let her cry. As she hugged me back, she cried harder. I knew she missed her father and I didn’t know what to say to console her. I didn’t know what I would have said to anyone who had lost a parent. Just thinking about it was terrifying. That midnight, while my father slept in his room and I lay down in mine, I heard my mother stirring around the living room upstairs. A few seconds later, Joan Baez’s voice filled the house. I knew my mother listened to this CD when she missed my grandfather the most. I went up the stairs presuming that my mother would be sitting on the deewan, crying. As I opened the door to the room, she looked up at me and smiled. “Come,” she said and gestured for me to sit next to her. She put her arm around me and started telling me stories that she remember from her childhood about her father. I looked at her, awestruck, and listened on. At about 3 am, my eyes started drooping. I went into my room and went to sleep. That morning, my mother and I went to my grandmother’s house. At the bottom of her garden, we had planted a white Camellia flower in memory of my grandfather. My grandmother wanted to go down to where the flower was planted. I held her hand and took her down. It was a longish sort of walk for her given her age and fading eyesight. The day passed with us talking about my grandfather and his memories. That evening, my mother went to my grandmother’s house. 

“Mummy, I am going down to Daddy’s Camellia, are you coming?” 

My grandmother tried to contest by saying, “but I just went this morning.” I sat there and laughed at the light argument. Finally, my grandmother gave in and all three of us walked down the stony path to the Camellia, joking about how my grandmother had become lazy. As we started walking back up to the house, my grandmother said, “Bas, enough now. I am not coming down here for another year.”

“You wont have to,” my mother and I said in unison. 

That night, I fell sick. I couldn’t move off my bed and I called up my mother, knowing her phone would be next to her. She came up to my bedroom and helped me get up. She nursed me, sat with me till I felt better, gave me juice and water, covered me with a blanket and put me to sleep. As I drifted off to sleep I thanked her.

“You don’t need to thank me. I am your mother. I’ll always be there for you,” she said, softly.

15th March last year: ‘Beware, the ides of March’ as the soothsayer said in Julius Ceaser. My mother wanted me to give her a haircut in the morning. I decided to make a game out of it and called my father. The on-going cricket World Cup inspired us to play cricket on my mother’s head by guessing various things and depending on who won, that person’s side of my mother’s hair would be cut. My poor mother sat there, helplessly watching my father and me. It was my last day at home before I went back to Mumbai. I was to board the train the next morning to go back to work. That evening, I went out to buy edibles for people back in Mumbai. I asked my mother if she wanted anything from outside. 

“Get me spring rolls,” she said, excitedly. She loved spring rolls and most people who knew her well, knew that.

When I came back home, I gave my mother her spring rolls. She took them into the dining room and started eating. I stood in the adjoining kitchen to cook the prawns, another one of my mother’s cravings. She told me how she wanted her prawns cooked…and then suddenly there was silence. Thinking she was probably biting into her spring roll, I didn’t turn to see why. I heard a loud thud against the table and turned around. My mother had slumped into the chair. I ran to her screaming. I shouted urgently for my father. Both of us rubbed her hands and feet, urgently. 

“Get some water,” my father screamed. I got the water, which my father tried to get my mother to drink. I called the driver and asked him to come as soon as possible. “She must have choked. Lets take her to the hospital,” I told my father panicking. The driver and I carried my mother down the flight of steps and put her into the backseat of the car. My father went with them to the hospital while I followed in the car behind telling myself that she will be fine. On reaching the hospital, I couldn’t see anyone familiar and called up the driver to ask where they were. 

“Emergency,” he said and disconnected the call.

As the door of the emergency room came into sight, I saw the doctor talking to my father. I pulled open the door ready to ask if she was okay. 

“We will only be able to find out the cause of death after the post-mortem,” the doctor continued. 

My father turned to see me standing at the door. He held out his hand towards me. “Mumma passed away.”

I promised my mother that I would never cry in front of my father and that I would always take care of him. I walked out of the emergency and went onto the pavement. I called up my uncle and asked him to come as soon as he could. The news spread so quickly that before I could speak to my father again, I had already gotten condolence calls and messages.

“Come stand at the gate with me, Tats. I need to smoke a cigarette.”
I walked with my father towards the gate of the hospital, holding his hand and feeling him tremble. He lit three cigarettes, one after another. That night was the longest night I remember living. My father was screaming for my mother to come back and there was nothing I could do about it, except keep quiet and listen. 

The next morning, my grandmother sat in her verandah after being told that her daughter had passed away. We prepared ourselves for the funeral. As the ambulance pulled into the driveway, I ran into the back of the garden. I didn’t want to see anything. I didn’t want to hear anything. It was like a never-ending nightmare that I was waiting for someone to wake me up from. No one woke me up. I composed myself and came into the house. I sat next to my mother for a long time asking myself why she left and thinking about how beautiful she looked. 

As we drove to the crematorium on my mother’s last journey, I sat next to my grandmother. She looked at me and said, “You are just as strong as your mother. Looking after everyone else and being strong.” 
At the crematorium, my father performed the rituals. We decided that he would perform the rituals and I would do the immersion and the rituals surrounding it. As I saw my father circling the pyre, I remembered standing in the same place a year ago holding my mother’s hand and listening to her making jokes about her father. And now, she was lying on the pyre, deep in sleep. My father lit the pyre and came and stood next to me. He took my hand in his and hugged me. I realized he was crying but trying to hide it. 

As we entered the house after cremating Mumma, the emptiness engulfed us. We planted a red Camellia next to the white one planted for my grandfather. As I took my Nani down to the place where the flowers were, I remembered my mother and I promising her that she wouldn’t have to come down here for a while. It had been only two days. 

After a month of living with my father, he convinced me to take a break and go somewhere for a while. Mumbai being the place I was most comfortable in, that’s where I went. As I said bye to my grandmother, I saw she was tired. Perhaps tired of losing people, perhaps tired of being alone. As always, she cheerfully told me to come back soon and to be good. My eyes shifted to the red and white Camellia’s gently moving with the wind. As my car pulled out of my driveway, I saw my father standing alone. I thought about my father and grandmother, both of who had lost their partners in the span of a year. As I boarded the flight to Mumbai, I thought of the three of us, all from different generations, all alone, all in different parts of the country. 

I went home in September as it was my mother’s birthday and my father, grandmother and I decided to spend the day together. It was a nice feeling to have what was left of the family together. My next trip happened in March this year, to commemorate my mother’s first death anniversary and my grandfather’s second. Seeing the pattern, I was scared I would lose someone on March 17th as well. Luckily, that didn’t happen. My mother always used to say, when people die, they die in threes. I didn’t realize that only two people had left me…

No comments:

Post a Comment